If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow, but there are none yet
1. Reference (a) established a priority of assignment of Oerlikon (20mm.) machine guns based on a Bureau of Ordnance estimate of the delivery dates of the first few guns. Reference (b), written prior to receipt of reference (e), requested assignment of guns to the machine gun school at Puuloa, T.H. In reference (c), the Bureau of Ordnance recommended a minor change in the priority list established by reference (a) and in reference (d) discussed the subject of ammunition for the 20 mm. Antiaircraft guns and requested that the Chief of Naval Operations advise as to the initial distribution of service ammunition.
2. Considering the various matters brought up by the above-referenced letters, and the latest available information concerning deliveries, the Chief of Naval Operations hereby changes and amplifies the priority assignment of 20 mm. Antiaircraft guns as indicated in the following paragraphs.
3. The first four guns received should be shipped, together with 3,000 round per gun, to Commander, Base Force, Pacific Fleet, for installation at Puuloa, T. H. The next 16 guns, together with 3,000 rounds of ammunition per gun, should be shipped as follows:
Enclosure (102) Page - 1 -
4. Based on the latest information in the Bureau of Ordnance, on estimated deliveries of the 20 mm. guns up to December 1, it is further desired that guns delivered after those mentioned in paragraph 3. above, be installed on the following ships:
* The Bureaus, when mutually agreeable, may install guns at the fitting out Navy Yard immediately after completion of conversion if deemed advisable.
Enclosure (102) Page - 2 -
- 3 -
5. If availabilities of any of the ships listed in paragraph 4, above, are canceled, the Chief of Naval Operations will advise as to reassignment of the guns.
6. It is desired that the Bureau of Ordnance advise the Chief of Naval Operations on or about November 1, 1941, of the estimated schedule of delivery of 20 mm. guns for the following few months in order that a new priority list for installation can be made out.
7. By copy of this letter the Commanders-in-Chief of the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets are requested to submit recommendations in regard to desired priorities of assignment of these guns based on a total estimated delivery of 40 guns per month during the months of December and January (1942) and an increase in this rate, starting in February, reaching approximately 200 per month by May 1942.
/s/ R. E. INGERSOLL
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Enclosure (102) Page - 2 -
National Archives & Records Administration, San Bruno
Record Group 181, Pearl Harbor Navy Yard General Correspondence 1941-45
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
XXX Home | Section Home | Researcher@Large Home