If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow, but there are none yet
PACIFIC FLEET CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE 3CN-41
1. Reference (a) is quoted for information.
2. The following is a resume of data collected by the laboratory from its own experiments and from published information:
3. The maximum permissible illumination in foot-candles on circular areas of diffuse reflectivity 30 percent is given in the following table. The illumination is the maximum which the area may have and still not be observed from a height (range) of 1000, 3000, and 10,000 feet.
4. The diffuse reflectivity of the present Navy gray paint is about 30 percent, and of grass, trees, etc. 4 to 6 percent. The illumination of a well lighted room is 10 foot candles and above, with the lowest illumination for reading 0.1 foot candle. The illumination of full moonlight is 0.02 foot candle, and of daylight 500 to 10000 foot candles.
5. This information is forwarded as a matter of interest to the addressees."
National Archives & Records Administration, College Park, Maryland
Record Group 313, CinCLant Confidential & Restricted Files 1941-43
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
Pacific Theater Home | Researcher@Large Home