TEXT SIZE: small | normal | large | huge

- Click to Enlarge -
	Aircraft DHBR-2A17
Japanese bomber formation surrounded by AA fire. Besides A6M Zero fighters, the attack force consisted of B5N Kates and D3A Vals from the Imperial Japanese Navy carriers Ryujo and Junyo.
	Aircraft DHBR-2A19
A flight of four Japanese bomber formation surrounded by AA fire. This may have been taken on June 3rd as the only report of a four-plane formation was on that day; June fourth saw individual attacks by eleven aircraft and then formation attacks by one three-aircraft formation and one five-aircraft formation.
A bomb falls from a Japanese D3A "Val" dive bomber during one of the attacks. The Val can be identified by it's eliptical wings and fixed landing gear.
The huge fire that resulted from the attack on the Rocky Point Tank Farm. Four fuel oil tanks were hit and one diesel fuel tank pierced. Photos of what was left when the fires were extinguished can be found on the Gallery of Raid Aftermath. The antennaes in the foreground are radio and radio direction finder antennaes.
Burnt out and still smoking fuel tanks at the Rocky Point Tank Farm. The tank on the far right is the diesel oil tank which was punctured and it's contents burned.
A bomb has just hit the bow of the Steamship Northwestern. Just beyond the quonset hut in the forground is the Marine barracks, with the Navy Barracks farther back and to the left. The Northwestern's fires would take three days to extinguish and left her uperworks a shambles, but her plant was still operable and her boilers were lit off to continue supplying power to the air station.
The deck of the Northwestern is aflame and the fire has spread to a warehouse used by Siems Drake Puget Sound. The close proximity of the fire to fuel tanks can clearly be seen here as well as a wind unfavorable to the fire fighters.
Work begins on the still-smouldering Northwestern. Because of limited resources and the difficulty in reaching her she burned for three days. Local fire fighters did an amazing job preventing her fire from spreading any further than it did; four wooden fuel tanks were across the street from a contractor's warehouse that did catch fire and survived unscathed due to the actions of Marine Major G. P. Groves and Fire Chief Harold Davis.


Dutch Harbor Home | Pacific Home | Researcher@Large Home