If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow, but there are none yet
PACIFIC FLEET LETTER NO. 4CL-41.
1. To provide for training of Task Forces for probable war operations and for inter-type training, the following Task Force Organizations are established effective on 1 June 1941:
in order to
provide an efficient Covering Force available for supporting operations of other forces; or for engagement, with or without support, in fleet action.
in order to
provide an efficient Reconnoitering and Raiding Force for testing the strength of enemy communication lines and positions and for making forays against the enemy, and for operations in conjunction with other forces.
in order to
provide an efficient Amphibious Force for attack, with or without support of other forces, on outlying positions of the enemy.
2. The three Task Force Commanders, established by this order, will perform the duties incident to the organization, training and operations of their respective Task Forces. In addition, they will control the allocation of time for Task Force and Type exercises, in the at sea exercise periods of the employment schedules of their respective Task Forces. The relation of the Type Commanders to the Task Force Commanders, in matters relating to the above will be the same as now exist between Type Commanders and Force Commanders.
3. Force and Type Commanders will continue to exercise other functions as now assign-ed, and as required by U. S. Navy Regulations and basic instructions.
4. Task Force Doctrines and Current Tactical Orders for Task Forces shall be prepared and issued in tentative form. As soon as they have been sufficiently tested they shall be submitted to the Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet, for final approval.
5. Units of the U. S. Pacific Fleet, not specifically detailed to the Task Forces appearing herein, will remain under the Force Commanders as at present.
6. Effective with the organization set forth in this letter:
(a) Ships in Task Organizations while at sea operating with Task Organization shall use the effective Task Organization frequency plans.
(b) Ships of each Task Organization, when in port, will guard and use harbor circuit (2562 kcs. currently in use for Pearl Harbor) and such other circuits as may be prescribed. Each Task Force Commander shall guard that frequency in port and while at sea in the operating area. S.O.P.A. in port will also guard that frequency and establish communication, preferably visual or landline, with nearest shore communication activity.
7. If and when additional Task Forces are organized, the provisions of this letter will apply.
H. E. KIMMEL.
DISTRIBUTION: (List II, Case 2)
P. C. Crosley,
National Archives & Records Administration, College Park
Record Group 313, CinCLant Confidential & Restricted Files 1941-43 Declassification Review NND 735024
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
Section Home | Researcher@Large Home