If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow, but there are none yet
1. Pacific Fleet Memorandum 33M-42 is hereby cancelled.
2. Interior painting shall conform henceforth to the instructions of reference (a), with the following modifications which have been authorized by the Bureau of Ships:
3. When surfaces have once been scraped and painted in accordance with the foregoing instructions, repainting shall not be undertaken until wear to bare metal is experienced, and then only for touching up worn spots. When general repainting is required, the surfaces shall first be scraped.
4. These specifications are considered to apply equally to the painting of ships undergoing overhaul and the repainting of vessels on which interior structure has been scraped to bare metal. Ships should prosecute with unremitting vigor the removal of old and thick, inflammable paint films as required by reference (c). Formula No. 27 is not fire-retardant when applied over old paint films.5. No paint shall be carried in ships of the Pacific Fleet while at sea, except in the following types:
Cargo Ships (cargo paint only)
*Note-exclusive of xylene used for removing preservatives from engines.
6. Insofar as practicable, painting should be accomplished by the use of spray equipment and with the assistance of experienced painters of Navy Yard and Tender personnel. Restrictions on the carrying of paint on board ships at sea require that facilities for preservation be available to ships in port. By copy of this letter, Navy Yards, other shore repair facilities, repair ships and tenders are requested to arrange on short notice to deliver alongside ships of the Fleet such paint and painting equipment as may be requested, and to receive these back prior to the departure of the ships from that area. Within their respective districts, Commandants are requested to insure that such service is available at each port frequented by ships of the Fleet. Request for these arrangements was inaugurated by paragraph 4 of reference (d).
R. A. SPRUANCE,
P. V. Mercer,
National Archives & Records Administration, College Park,Maryland
Record Group 313, CinCLant Confidential & Restricted Files 1941-43
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
US Navy Ship Camouflage Home | Ships Home | Researcher@Large Home