If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow
1. Reference (a) requests the Bureau to designate a paint color or formula to apply on the hulls of certain motor boats, motor launches and motor whale boats under construction at the Yard prior to shipment or delivery to activities to which the boats and launches are assigned. It is noted that the Yard has been using light gray formula No. 5 tinted to dark gray by mixing with black paste, formula 5-BP.
2. In view of the depleted stock of formula No. 5 at the Yard, the Bureau authorizes the application to motor boats and launches of Ocean-Gray paint, formula 5-O, referred to in, "Ships - 2". Pending the availability of a stock of the white base paint formula 5-U and tinting material formula 5-TM, to produce Ocean Gray, it will be satisfactory to apply dark gray paint formula 5-D if any is available, in accordance with the instructions in reference (b).
3. The choice of Ocean-Gray paint for boats and launches is based upon the present use generally by the Atlantic Fleet of Measure 12 of the camouflage instructions, having in mind also the position of the boat or launch on the vessel to which assigned, and the prospects of a minimum amount of painting upon receipts by the ship's force if the color is Ocean Gray.
C O N F I D E N T I A L
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4. Yards which receive a copy of this letter shall be guided accordingly, but a departure from these instructions may be desirable with boats and launches assigned to the Pacific Fleet, or in cases of special assignments.
G. W. Nelson
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
Naval Camouflage Home |
Ships Home |