If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow
1. Reference (a) is cancelled & superseded by this letter.
2. In accordance with reference (b), enclosures (B) through (D) cancel and supersede all previous instructions for camouflage painting of PT's assigned to the Pacific. Pattern camouflage, in compliance with enclosures (B) through (D), should be applied to subject vessels under construction at the first opportunity. This design should be applied to PT's in service when repainting is necessary.
3. The provisions of reference (c) should be followed in applying and reporting this camouflage painting.
4. Countershading should be omitted on ships camouflaged with design 31/20L.
E. W. Sylvester
By direction of
Chief of Bureau
1. Reference (a), in response to requests from the Bureau of Ships, forwarded more specific information as to camouflage designs desired for application to vessels assigned Measure 31 by reference (b). Designs 5L, 6L, 7L, and 18L were recommended for several types.
2. Designs 5L, 6L, 7L, and 18L in Measure 31 have proved only partially satisfactory in service for certain typed of vessels. In an attempt to improve on the designs available other patterns were applied experimentally. In conjunction with the Commander Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet, the basic design shown in enclosure (A) was found to be most satisfactory for several types. Enclosures (B) - (I) indicate the application to one vessel of each of the types to which the basic design is considered applicable. The enclosures were prepared by the silk screen process using actual camouflage paints. The colors used are modifications of the present standard greens and browns. Paints and tinting materials employed are those specified by the Bureau, the only change necessary being the modifications of proportions to match the colors shown. It is considered more practical for standardization to match-the samples provided rather than to prescribe definite quantities of ingredients.
FLEET MAINTENANCE OFFICE
Subject: Camouflage Designs - Recommendations for.
3. It is requested that the Bureau promulgate copies of enclosures (B) - (I), inclusive, to building and repair activities concerned for use in applying the new designs for the vessels illustrated which are assigned to the Pacific Fleet. It is also requested that previous instructions for these vessels be cancelled. However, it is considered unnecessary for vessels painted in accordance with existing directives to apply the new designs prior to the time that repainting is required for preservation purposes.
4. In view of the standardized pattern for the types involved, it is considered advisable for simplicity to forward the enclosures provided direct to painting agencies rather than to individual vessels. Where hull shapes different from those illustrated occur in any given type, it is requested that the basic design, enclosure (A), merely be superimposed on the silhouette to form the pattern.
/S/ H. T. SMITH
Copy to: ComPhibPac
- 2 -
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
Naval Camouflage Home |
Ships Home |