If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow, but there are none yet
1. By reference (a), modified by reference (b), Comander Service Force, Pacific Fleet (FMO) requested that craft specified as designed to run on to beaches plus ships converted from LST's, APD's and vessels in direct support of landing operations, plus all vessels vhose operations are similar to landing craft be painted camouflage measure 31, design 5L and 8L. This is in accordance with the subsequent Fleet letter, reference (c) which calls for measure 31 (mottled green pattern) for landing craft.
2. Vessels specified in Paragraph 1 as designed to run on to beaches and vessels in direct support of landing operations are to include all LCI, LST, LSM, LCT, LCS, and LCC classes used for actual beach landings, close in fire support, Flotilla Command Flagships and control craft.
3. Vessels used in a dual capacity as control craft and as convoy escorts such as SC's, YMS's, PC's, PCE's and PCS's have been assigned measure 21 by reference (d).
4. By reference (a), APA, AKA, AGC, APc, LSV, LSD, LSD, AP and AK are to be painted measure 21. By reference (e) the last two classes, AP and AK, may retain measure 12 or 22 if already applied in lieu of changing to measure 21.
5. The original definition of measure 12, 21 and 22 in reference (f) has now heen modified in accordance with the change in paint specifications outlined in reference (g) as follows:
It should be noted that #7 Navy Gray has been substituted for Navy Blue retaining the same designation (5-N), and Deck Gray (20) has been substituted for Deck Blue (20-B) in measure 12 and 21. Countershading is no longer authorized.
6. Measure 31, design 5L or 8L are two green pattern designs which have been forwarded to certain activities for application to LST's. The Bureau is now preparing plans which will apply the 5L and 8L pattern to all classes covered in paragraphs 1 and 2.
7. These plans will be issued to the building and painting activities concerned as they become available, for application to vessels under construction, and vessels in service subject to the approval of the authority granting availability. Design 5L is to be applied to odd, and 8L to even numbered vessels.
8. Until the required plans are received, existing directives should be followed, except that the District Camouflage Officers of the First, Third, and Fifth Naval Districts are authorized upon request to adapt the most applicable plan of 5L or 8L design received to that date to any other class to which this letter applies in advance of receipt of new plans from the Bureau. In other districts when no specifically applicable plans are available for classes covered by this letter and for which no present camouflage directives exist, the Bureau should be requested to take special action.
9. The Bureau authorizes the application of camouflage as outlined above subject to the approval of the authority granting availability for vessels in service, and for application to all new construction where no delay in completion will be involved.
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
Naval Paint Home | Ships Home | Researcher@Large Home